First of all, I liked the story. It's was funny. At first I didn't get why guy came in blaming himself because of an expensive donkey he didn't even buy but that became obvious later.
the American towards the end, the rug collector, was a friend of the professor who was a friend of the guy with the low self esteem right?
CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG: at the end the American just wanted the iron stake? I dun get it. did he even get the rug? the end was confusing.
I still don't get what the relationship was between the narrator/author who started the story. in the very beginning, it seems as though the narrator didn't know the guy at all but, as we said in class, he knew that the self-abusing guy went to America. I may have just missed the connection between them but if anyone got it, can you tell me? THANKS!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you with your first point, Wooz. Yes, it was a funny story. However, just think about how the people were acting. If you carefully consider what they were trying to do, the story becomes a whole lot more complex (see my earlier post).
ReplyDeleteAt the end of the story, realizing that he had been scammed, instead of the other way around, the Rug Expert wanted the iron stake just to remember the whole encounter, and that there was indeed a rug out there that was more than 100 knots per cubic centimeter.
The relationship between the narrator and the disgraced man was a bit odd (why even introduce the narrator - he was not important to the story) but it did give an interesting beginning. I'm pretty sure they were good friends, as the disgraced man walked into the narrator's house uninvited and acted as though he was at home.
I completely agree that the author leaves amy holes in the plot, but i think that he did this on pupose to let the reader imply the ending of the story. the creates a suspenseful feeling thst keeps the reader reading his story until the very end. He also does this to let the reader imply his or her own ending, so that the reader won't be disapointed with the ending. Except that isn't always true because Taj didn't like the ending.
ReplyDeleteI hate that the author leaves holes!!! I don't really like this story because he leaves to many holes. I like being able to infer a little of what will happen, but not so much that I get confused! It's an intresting story, but the author could have gave it a lot more.
ReplyDelete