Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Night of the Festival

First I would like to say that I didn't like the short story very much. The two reasons that I have for not liking the story is that I thought that it moved way too fast and I thought that it didn't really have any purpose like the other two stories. I also thought that it was weird to want to marry your own cousin. I also didn't really understand which character was which and I also didn't understand how all of the characters were related. I thought that something very bad must have happened when the author wrote, "Nor was the hajji anxious about those eight pounds which Munir usually sent by post at the start of every month to help support the family." (P. 43) but I was sadly let down because instead of someone dying or someone losing millions of dollars Munir just married another girl. How lame is that?  I also think that the quote, "He has an excuse. He did not know what we have been planning. God help him." (P. 44) shows that Hajji thinks that Munir will never betray him and will always do what Hajji thinks and says he should do, but he is pleasantly surprised when he finds out that he is going to marry another girl. If I was Hajji I would be very mad at Munir because I would have had the entire wedding planed out, but I would have also been relieved because I didn't have to pay for the wedding, which was sure to be expensive. I thought that the story had way too many characters that didn’t do anything important and they were just there and I think that they just confused people. I also didn’t understand the ending. Did the water have significance like the last story or was it just something that the author just put in? Also did the tears have any importance or symbolism or was it just nothing.Also if she was just going tear the letter up what did she have to used five stamps and waste money when they clearly are tight on money. All in all I thought that this short story didn't make much sense and was not very good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment