Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Assassination of Light at the River's Flow

the topic in the story that played a big part in the plot and interested me most was the fact that Raha completely idolized her parents for her whole life; they seemed to have fooled her into thinking they had her best interests at heart when it turns out they really just wanted her to marry well. The reason i say her parents seem to be quite selfish is the way her mother's rage explodes and she (the mother) ends up beating her own daughter to the edge of death. the other possibility is that her mother just overreacted when she refused to marry a man she didnt want to and anger management the mother's problem rather than not caring about her daughter. however, i think that her parents viewed her more as propertey to be barted and "sold" for a good price (or rather, marryed off to a good husband) instead of a daughter and a person with feelings. this has been a theme in books i've about arranged marriages. what surprises me, however, is how much Raha loves her parents despite that fact that it would appear they don't feel the same way. it is possible that they appreciated her more when she was a child and didnt have the threat of being married hanging over her head more immediately.
personally, the ending of this story really scared me. the metaphors and similes were very descriptive but also morbid and surprisingly macabre. i didn't dislike the story, but it wouldnt have been my first choice if i'd had my pick. COMMENT ON MY POST! thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I disagree with you Emma, on the point that it appears that Raha's parents don't feel love Raha the same way as she loves them. They do love her and give her pretty much whatever she wants to, as you said, pretty much ripen her for a rich husband so they will benefit from it. I'm inclined to agree with you when you say that it's more of the mother's fault with her anger amnagement issues because, yes she does club Raha to death, if you look at the last line of the story, "I don't know in what wave I drowned in." That implies that she has died, obviously because of her mother.

    But why, would you think that the mother killed her daughter just because she rejected one suitor? Surly ther's another out there that's better-looking and even richer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that Raha's mother didn't love her either. I just think that her mom wanted her to marry her rich cousin (I think that he's her cousin...) and when Raha refused her mother and father got extremly angry. Even though they both got really angry, only her mother showed her anger by beating up Raha. This refers back to the quote when she says, "They say that men are strong, but I wish you were stronger in front of my mother." I also think that her mother overreacted just because she didn't want to marry her cousin.
    P.S. I don't think that her mother killed her. I think her hopes just "drowned". Well maybe not because in the end it says that her mother advances into her room and it ends there.

    ReplyDelete