Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Assassination of Light at the River's Flow

This story was . . . weird. The descriptive language kind of interested me but the rest was just plain weird. I really dislike her parents, especially her mother, because they lied to her and took her away from her favorite place. She loves school and has all her friends there and most importantly -- she's happy. Why take her away just to tell her news that she does not want to hear? Her mom is mean Why did she abuse her just because she didn't want to marry the guy? What I read about her parents in this last part of the story is nothing like how Raha described them earlier on.
"Oh my mother, your face is illuminated, how I love that face!"
Her father wasn't as mean, because he doesn't take as much 'power' as Raha's mother does. I know this because Raha wishes that he was stronger in front of her mother. I agree with Ela, the story is a bit ironic because Raha and her friends ignore the news about all the blood and battle but then later her mother intentionally hurts her and.... well, blood. Also, as I said before, Raha says she loves her mother's face and she respects her, but then, again, her mother abuses Raha and I thought "Why respect someone who hurts you?"

Over all, I thought this story was okay. I liked the Donkey one better, this one had a little too much descriptive stuff. I also thought this ending was depressing...

~ Zoe

2 comments:

  1. The mother might've abused Raha because she must've gone through a lot of trouble to arrange a marriage with Fahid. Maybe by talking about all the good things about Raha to Fahid and his parents?
    I respectfully disagree with you about Raha saying that she respected her mother. Raha DID say she respected her mother, but that was before her mother abused her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I messed up on that, I didn't really know how to put it... I guess I was trying to say... Well I don't think I needed that part. I was just thinking that it's sad that Raha respected her mother at first but then her mother abuses her and so it doesn't seem like her mother is one to hurt her own daughter.

    ReplyDelete