Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Stuck up
Overall, I think that this was a very depressing story, but it also shows the hardships of some Arab girls. Many Arab girls are forced into marriages that they don't want to be in. The parents plan the wedding and the bride gets no say in who they want to marry. The girl in the story is a bit melodramatic, because she tries to kill herself rather marry Fahid. I think that this shows how "trapped in her own world" she is. She doesn't care what's best for her family, she is only thinking about herself. She is extremely priviledged that her parents even let her get an education, but she doesn't realize how much her parents sacrificed to put her through school, and she won't even marry to pay them back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
For the most part I agree, but I also think that the author is trying to show how quickly an average person's life could change. She is a normal girl who has an extremely optimistic view of her life, but in the end choses death over the traditional life girls like her have. The one thing i really enjoyed was how the story was written like poetry, with so much description.
ReplyDeletein the beginning when she finds out that she is to be married she says...
"I will not! Will you force me to death?"
"Death is simpler, if you insist on refusing."
And in one of the last paragraphs she says...
"my mother had given me life,she had given me death, but death cam too slowly."
this was one of my favorite lines in the whole story. At first i didn't understand but i went back and i remembered her comparing marriage to death.
Over all, yes, it was a very sad, but true story. but in some weird way i enjoyed it.
I (partially) respectfully disagree with Sam's paragraph. Even though the girl was privilaged because she was able to go to a really fine school, her parents shouldn't have immidiately said, "You're getting married." They (acted) like they loved her but in the end, they set her up for a marriage that she wasn't even ready for. That's not exactly privilage if you ask me.
ReplyDeleteI do agree that she is very dramatic and over-reacting to the marriage proposal. She acts like a steriotypical teenager (which she is). Also, I like Sam's idea stating that the girl is trapped in her own world. That's an interesting concept. She doesn't look out at the real world, therefore she isn't expecting the dramatic change happening in her family. She is, in a way, narrow-minded and expects everything to stay the same.
I know two people already commented on this BUT I TOTAALY AGREE WITH YOU, SAM! I actually had never thought about it that but the more I think about it, the more I think that there's no evidence that Fahid is a bad person, it's all her opinion. Fahid is rich, and the family needs money. It was a real privilege for her to go school and the way she repays her parents is by disobeying them? This totally gives me a different prespective of the short story.
ReplyDeleteFrank da Tank