Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Night of the Festival

At first I thought that Munir was just going to be late, and then he would come later and they would all celebrate. I was sooo wrong. This story was pretty confusing, especially the whole who's marrying whom part. It didn't have any clear points which made me think that the other two stories were better.
I thought it was rude of him to just send a telegram saying that he is getting married to the head of the company's daughter. The other part of the message in the telegram is 'best wishes for the holiday' and the fact that he didn't write anything else besides the news I doubt he means it. I can't believe he didn't write even a little bit more like "sorry I couldn't come" or "I hope that my not coming didn't ruin anything" or even "love you".
Now about the marrying the head's daughter, I understand that he didn't know about the arranged marriage but he could've at least invited them to the wedding or told them a little more.
The hajji and his wife conclude that Munir didn't invite them because he knows about their financial circumstances and he didn't want him to spend more than what they can afford and that he has financial problems himself what with the cost of the wedding. But I think the real reason is that he's just embarrassed that his family is poor and he's comparing his family with the head's rich(er) family.
The hajji and his family can't just expect Munir who's been gone for awhile to just come back to the news of "Oh you're getting married to someone you barely know! Congratulations!" I mean, c'mon. That's just ridiculous. So in Munir's defense, the hajji's family wasn't thinking about his thoughts on the marriage.
Oh, and the end of the story was kind of odd because the two girls tore up the letter when they should've sent it so Munir could at least know what happened and what he caused because of his telegram. All in all this story was confusing and basically had no point. Or at least, that's what I think....

~ Zoe

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Zoe-
    I agree that the real reason Munir didn't invite his family to the wedding was because he was embarrassed of them, they were poor, etc. But I also believe that Hajji Guma knew the real reasons, too, and was just making up another possible excuse so his family's pride wasn't hurt.
    Munir was so rude! As you pointed out, I can't believe his telegram didn't have an apology or even say "I love you." He also didn't send the money he usually sends home to his family, and he didn't send the telegram until the day before the wedding! *aha!* I have an idea as to why, but it's pretty out there. Maybe Munir didn't send the telegram until the day before so his family wouldn't have a chance to come or have him change his mind. That's pretty evil... but it might just be my imagination. :)
    Maybe the story was directed towards a different audience, since so many of us thought it was pointless.
    -Peyton

    ReplyDelete