Thursday, April 16, 2009

Don't you have any donkeys in your country? Katherine Ericson

When I first started reading this, I didn't really understand. I mean, I understand why he was disgraced, but why was he so obsessed? I also thought that the disgraced guy had been the one selling the donkey. I also did not understand how this american rug expert had anything to do with the donkey. Of course, it was not hard to see how sleazy the rug expert was! I could kind of see that something would happen to him, but I wasn't totally sure.
In thinking of the donkey seller, I have mixed feelings. I mean, it wasn't really what I would have done, and I think it's mean, because you can tell he knows that that the american wants the rug. But, it's not as if he said, "With the donkey, I'm selling this piece of cloth." Overall, I believe that the American Rug Expert totally deserved what he got. Maybe, he'll start treating people with a bit more respect as he is buying and selling. I doubt it, but anythings possible!

2 comments:

  1. I most definitely agree with you Katherine. The author could have made the story 30 or 40 percent clearer in the plot. And I also agree that the author didn't spend enough time discussing how the donkey was sold, etc. Actually, now that I look at it, your entire first paragraph is completely relevant to my post. The author barely spends enough time going through the events that went on during the donkey selling before the story. So yeah. Really good post. Great minds think alike I guess. Ha. This story needed way more explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I agree that the rug expert deserved what he got, that does not justify how the donkey seller sold the american the donkey knowing that it was the rug that the american wanted. The story gave many examples on how humans are greedy and want more things for less money. This leads them to use trickery, deceit, and paying an unfair price to a starving peasant, just because they are selfish. The american was greedy, but so was the donkey seller, who could have just said the rug wasn't for sale, instead of making money off the donkey, and keeping the rug. I think that the donkey seller got lucky, and it should have been both men who should have learned their lesson, and not just the rug expert.

    ReplyDelete