Friday, April 24, 2009

Assassination of light at the river's flow

I don't understand this story. If her parents had treated her with such kindness and love, Raha would be like a spoiled brat. Instead, she's just incredibly adoring, describing every instant with amazing romanticism. I think it's strange how her parents seem to suddenly have had a personality change. Unless they had been faking love for years, it's almost as if they were replaced by different people who look exactly the same. As Raha said, it's as if her mother had been replaced by a demon. It doesn't make sense. Why would her mother rip out her hair? Is she still planning for Raha to get married or not? Beating Raha up won't get her to comply to her parents' demands. If her parents knew Raha, they would know how dramatic and romantic she is, so they would predict her suicide. At the end of the story, when Raha (probably) dies, it says the last thing she saw was her mother's face. It's almost as if her mother was trying to kill her, because she doesn't stop her from hanging herself.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that Raha's parents could have realized that she would probably die, but for them her death probably is preferable to the entire famiy's disgrace. Also, if she has been at boarding school for so long, her parents might not know her so well, even though she "tells them everything". I think that Raha doesn't hang herself: "I tried to tie it {the rope of hair} around my neck but it wouldn't strangle." (p 69)
    However, I agree that her parents seem to have given up on marrying her and that her mother doesn't seem to be trying to stop her from dying.
    I think that the reason her parents seem horrible all of a sudden is that she has never really gone against their wishes before. She did ask for more time and schooling, but that was a request, not a demand. Now that she isn't doing what they want, her mother's (and father's) meaness (if that is the right word) comes out.
    Also, not all people who are treated with such kindness and love, and who are very sheltered turn out to be spoiled brats (in my opinion).

    ~Mika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, like Erika said, she always had followed what her parents have wanted her to do. They have never had a problem with this before, so she had no real idea how they would react. I also agree that just becauase she has a sheltered life with loving parents, she won't be a spoiled brat. I mean, we are very sheltered here at Cryatal, and there are few who act bratty and spoiled and just plain yucky! I think that the mother isn't just letting her daughter die, but she kind of wants her to die. Its as if they now know that she won't make them money, so why keep her around?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just because Raha's parents treat Raha with love and kindness, doesn't mean that she is a spoiled brat. You become a spoiled brat, either by having that personality or having parents that spoil you. There is no evidence in the story that her parents spoil her and obivously, Raha does not have spoiled brat as a personality.
    Also, being a totally different person at one point is not abnormal. A person might have a personality that you have never seen before. I know, Raha has lived there for sixteen years so she should know the personalities really well, but if her parents never needed to bring the extremely mad side out, then in that case Raha would have never experienced that side to them.
    Just wanted to point out that some things aren't as usaual as they might seem at first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont think she hangs herself literally. But i do think on some level she has died, whether literally of emotionally i do not know. for me the last line is her giving in, though she says "her heart is still alive". in the last line to me... she has choseb to betray her heart.

    ReplyDelete