At the beginning of the story when Raha was saying how her life is so wonderful, I was just thinking: Wow. Could this girl be any more stuck-up? For example, when she says: "We prefer to sit down to a cup of warm tea and talk about our teachers' faces and the graffiti on our walls," (67) the first thing that comes to my mind is her an
d a few other friends sitting in a living room and sipping warm tea while looking out the window and knowing absolutely nothing about the world outside of school. I mean, I guess you could come with the argument that she never really has the opportunity to do that, but I mean she doesn't have to act like the school is the best place in the world. Another
quote that goes along with my stuck-up theory is "They would welcome my with kisses, and maybe a bundle of roses -- my success gifts." What I'm thinking here is that she expect too get roses and hugs and kisses because SHE thinks she's doing well? I'm sure there are plenty of other students who are punished for not doing well.Topic 2
Just like what David said, I think this mother is pretty whack. It's weird how this girls thinks so highly of her mother (which makes me think that the mother is a nice person) and then KACHOW (Cole word)! The mother totally goes berserk on Raha. "She was not my mother. This was a devil. She hardly resembled my mother." (69) This quote, to me, shows that her mother probably hasn't been this way before because when she says "she hardly resembled my mother," It's like nothing she had ever seen before.
Frank da Tank
Franklin, I think that you are right. I think that the parents were just sheltering her from all of the bad things in life and anything that could affect her in a bad way just so she could marry someone high up. I think that is totally not cool and very mean. I also think that the mother never liked Raha and was only making her prety so Raha would marry high up. I also think that Raha was also spoiled and thhat she is totally immune to anything bad and I think that the parents are mean to give her a false sense of freedom because once she gets married she won't be able to go to school anymore and will have to obey her husband at all times. I also think that the author conveyed the image of how parents think of Raha or other girls in the Middle East and I think that it is preety disturbing to me that they don't even care about their own Daugter's well being and they only care about who she is going to marry.
ReplyDeleteI can see how you think that Raha is very stuck up by the way that she acts, but I have a differing point of view. I would have to say that if anything, Raha is more naive than she is stuck up. I am assuming that she has been treated this way by her parents her whole life, so she doesn't have anything different to expect from them. I would have to say that the parents of Raha shelter her too much, and it is unfair that one day they just drop this bomshell of marraige on Raha. Although, in a way it is not the parents fault either, because it is just the normal way of things in India. This story shows that the whole practice of arranged marraige is flawed, and I think that it should be discontinued.
ReplyDelete