Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Night of the Festival-Cole

When I read this story, I thought that both the son who didn't invite his own parents to his wedding and the parents who tried to set up a marraige without telling him were both in the wrong.  I think that the whole idea of arranged marraige is messed up, but barely telling your son in advanced about his own marraige; that is just wrong.  It also seems as if Hajji has arranged his son's marraige primarily based on his own financial needs, which is very selfish and unfair to the son.  On the other hand, it was very rude of Munir to not even tell his parents that he is getting married in america, and it was even ruder to not invite his own parents to his wedding, or at least let his parents meet his new wife before he marries her.  To me, the end of the story was kind of confusing. I do not know exactly why they decided to crumple up the paper and throw it into the river. I mean, even if your son made a mistake you still should be happy that he is getting married, and it was kind of unfair in the first place to just assume that he would just be okay with marrying a woman without any warning. Lastly, I think that in the future the relationship between Munir and his parents will be very bleak if at all existent.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to follow up on that. I think you are correct about the selfishness of this story. I think the parents just wanted the arranged marriage so they could get some sort of money part, too. I think that the ending, where they crumple it up in the river wasn't confusing at all though. Nafusa, the woman Munir was suppose to marry, loved Munir for as long as forever. She dreamed about marrying him for as long as her love lasted. So, the idea and picture of Munir and she together made her extremely happy, correct? When she found out that Munir was marrying someone else, it was like her whole entire dream pictures were destroyed because she didn't get Munir. She crumpled the letter of congratulations and through it into the river. As she watched the bits of paper float away, I think it symbolizes her dreams being flushed down the toilet, no longer holding any purpose. She began to cry. I think this was to show the sort of selfish person she is because she didn't get what she wanted! Hope that helps, but other than that, I think you are very much correct!!!

    ReplyDelete