Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Don't You Have Any Donkey's In Your Country? Daniel Griggi

After reading this story, I thought to myself what the meaning and message that the author is trying to urge is. I didn't quite get it. First, I thought it was a comedy, which could be argued that it is. All in all, I personally didn't like this story. For me, it went a little fast. After the author says: (On the second page) "He had published three books on rugs, in addition, he owned one of the finest rug collections in the world," the story jumps right into: "We started out on a tour of Anatolia." It doesn't give the reader enough time to see that the American brought the friend to Anatolia. Then the entire time the two friends are in Anatolia, they rest of the story went too fast, until they meet the peasant with the donkey. Then, it goes at just the right speed, almost as if the author is building. I did like the paragraph at the bottom of the second page, where the story explained what the peasants were like. It gave you a sense of what type of people the peasants are. What they do for a living, and even how they make their living. While I was reading the third, fourth and fifth page I thought that the author, Aziz Nesin, could have improved this story, by writing the first and second page of the story compiled into a page from the perspective of the friend, and the rest of the story written in the perspective of the American. It would have beefed up the two men and the peasant's encounter a whole lot.

For anyone who is reading this blog, ask yourself this:

Why do you think that the author chose to have the entire story written from the perspective of the friend, and not the American or peasant.

dAnIeL gRiGgI

1 comment:

  1. Interesting question. I think part of it's the reaction of their failure and the waste of 2500 liras that the author wants to show.

    ReplyDelete