Wednesday, April 29, 2009

tHe NiGhT oF tHe FeStiVaL

This story was very traditional. The father wants his son to have an arranged marriage, but the son has other plans. I found that because the story was traditional, it was very predictable and boring. From the beginning, I knew that the son was not going to like the idea of marring Nafusa or the son already married someone else. I was right, the son was going to marry someone else. I also think that the telegram could have been more mysterious. When Khadija read the telegram, she should have not given the telegram to Madbuli to read to her father. I wanted the chance to guess what Munir wrote. Once Madbuli read the letter, the fun was taken out in gussing the letter and once again I found myself in a boring moment in the story. The author I think could have put more effort in making the story more interesting. The more interesting the story, the better.

2 comments:

  1. I would agree with you when you say that the story is pretty predictable. I mean, it was pretty obvious to tell that the arranged marraige was never going to work out and that Munir may have never shown up at all, but the ending to me was somewhat of a surprise. I didn't expect for the two women to rip up the mail as they were walking to the mailbox, which lead me to believe that the relationship with Munir after that would be poor if at all existent.
    As for the boring part I would have to disagree. Although this story wasn't very fast paced or action packed, it left me with a lot to think about, like why didn't Munir tell his parents earlier that he was going to get married? Possibly because he didn't want them to come. And Why did the two women rip up the mail on their way to the mailbox? Even though it wasn't very nice of Munir to not invite them to his wedding, they still should be happy that he is getting married. And the biggest question: Why do people still do arranged marraiges at all??? I'll leave that to you to figure out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree. It was obvious that the son was going to be ok with an arranged marriage, because he was going to college, which means he is modern while the family is traditonal, which isnt a good mix. The telegram was propably the only interesting part of the story, but it was also ruined, like you said. I found it interesting when the family didnt really freak out when they were told ( other than the 2 girls of course) i think they knew that was going to happen.

    ReplyDelete