Thursday, April 23, 2009

wooz: assasination

this story left me saying "huh?". the beginning is pretty straightforward: I think we all inferred that she goes to a boarding school because of the way she describes her Wednesdays (our equivalent of Fridays): " How beautiful are Wednesdays, when joy comes to my heart like a bird that has flown for seven days and then landed on my hand. It comes like a legendary or mythical appointment with joy, it kisses me when I am thirsty for tenderness and hungry for a morsel of 'I will see my mother and father for the weekend.' I will carry by books to them and show them all I have learned. That is the meaning of Wednesdays." Also, the dorm supervisor who tells Raha to go to her parents immediately adds to the possibility of it being a boarding school. I still don't get why she lied. Maybe she was told that she was getting married to this rich guy and was excited for her. If so, why did she say that her father "will be alright"? Just to get her to go there faster? maybe her parents told the supervisor to say that. Why would she just lie though? She had no reason to. her parents are MEAN DUDE!!! Jeez. Anger management. Then again, wasn't this story set a few centuries ago? What's 1951 in the Islamic calender equivalent to in our calendar? It makes sense that it would be a while ago because women weren't treated with very much respect (and still aren't with some people *COUGH THE U.S. GOVERNMENT COUGH*). I don't get why some parents don't care at all about what their child cares about, all that matters is, Micheal's quote in history: "MONEY AND POWER". Since Raha refused fat ugly whatshisface (which she should) her mom beat her and starved her. That's SOOOOO mean! That's beyond mean! she REALLY hated him: "oh, how great you are Allah! you made my heart, my feeling! No one can own another's heart, you decreed it so! Even if thy room is a locked jail, even if my parents are my jailers and my terror, my heart is still alive. My only escape is through Fahid's bed, and i refuse it, refuse it! my heart is till alive!" She even tried to strangle herself with her own hair! to quote Elliot: "this is the most disturbing thing I've ever read!". it starts out so happy and peaceful and falls into "the gorge of eternal peril" to quote Monty Python. Now I see why it's titled "the assassination of light at the river's flow"

1 comment:

  1. I think that the dorm supervisor herself didn't lie but that the parents of Raha told the dorm supervisor the lie. I think that Raha realizes it that her parents have lied to her because a quote in the story says, "Why did she lie? Dare she do that without being asked to? Who would tell her to lie? But then my heart pointed toward the sky to be forgiven for not trusting that faithful supervisor who took me to the plane with fear and love, praying with me for my father's recovery. She belived the story." Also I also think that refusing to marry should not have such bad consiquences. I think that the mom should be blamed for hitting her and her dad for not stopping the mom from beating up Raha. In the end, I think that she has a very strong will to keep on going and going even after all that punishment.

    ReplyDelete