I really enjoyed the beginning of this story. especially the suspenseful start telling us the assasination. I thought the girl, Raha, was a very arrogant girl ignorant of the outside world. She describes her school as perfect place for a fine girl, sipping tea and relaxing, which annoyed me a bit. She describes her parents as one of the best things that ever happened in life, and convinced us that they were great people. Raha also stated that her mother had more control of her than her father. When she was angry at her father for telling her a lie that he was very sick, I thought she was over-reacting. Is she really that mad at her father just because he needed an excuse to have her come home quickly?
When Raha's mother came and told her she was going to get married, Raha said "not old, fat, rich Fahid?" This statement was very disprespectful, even if she did not want to get married. In Asian cultures, a lot of arranged marriages happen, even at early ages. Thus, Raha's mom's statement didn't surprise me. However, I would not want to get married at a young age, which gives me a little sympathy for Raha. When Raha's mom beat her, I was not surprised. In many countries, parents and teachers beat their kids up when they're rude or misbehaving.
In the end, she said she died. I strongly believe she did not, she again is dramatically making a big deal out of her mom getting mad at her. This shows Raha's characteristic, viewing her parents from the beginning as kind and nice quickly to evil murdurers. Raha is a spoiled girl who has never experienced pain before, and thus is over reacting to all this.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"She describes her school as perfect place for a fine girl, sipping tea and relaxing, which annoyed me a bit." Why? Is it because she seems stuck up? Because I would enjoy sipping tea and relaxing and being safe inside a school too... Execpt I HATE TEA!
ReplyDelete"When she was angry at her father for telling her a lie that he was very sick, I thought she was over-reacting. Is she really that mad at her father just because he needed an excuse to have her come home quickly?" OMG! Do you love your dad? (obviously not) But how would YOU like it if you heard a person you loved was extremely sick? He could have got her to come home quickly without saying he was sick...SO HA!
And what the heck? Who cares if they beat up disrespectful people in other coutries!?!!? Whats imporatant is that its wrong to beat if kids!
THINK ABOUT IT!
DA BOMB
I agree with Preston about how some parents in religious cultures hit their kids when the kid is disrespectful. Even though it is normal in some families, it makes me mad that kids get beat up for thinking differently about different choices. I do think that Raha is a spoiled girl albeit a nice one thought and she is not at all used to the "outside world". What she knows of the outside world is that it is dangerous and mysterious. Even though she is naive, Raha should have seen what her mother would say coming. Especially if she had already asked her once. She had asked for more time and had gotton it. Now, when the time to marry Fahid came, Raha acted like it was new for her mom to ask her to marry. What I do not get however, is how her loving and caring parents can change to cruel and brutul murderers.
ReplyDeleteWhen you start with the suspenseful telling of the assassination, didn't you wonder who or what was assassinated? Secondly, if Raha said she was a fine girl, maybe she is: if she got good grades, then there's nothing arrogant about what she said. Third, she is Saudi Arabian, not Asian. Maybe in Asian culture they arrange marriages, but from what I saw this family is not at all religious-therefore, she has right to express anger. Nobody asked her parents to arrange a marriage! In the end, you jump to conclusions with saying that Raha is an ignorant girl that has never experienced pain before. How do you know? And I'm pretty sure that everybody would react like Raha did when they are mercilessly beaten by their own parents! Overall, I disagree with your argument because Raha has never told us about her life before the event, and she never deserved to get beaten!
ReplyDelete-------Daniel N.
I agree with you Preston. The girl was completely unlikable. At the beginning she just sounded stuck up and spoiled, and she was very disrespectful to her parents who were trying to cut her slack. I did think that the parents did go a little over the top at the end, though. That is one of my big complaints about the story - you can't be on anyone's side.
ReplyDelete