I think that the author creates an image (at least in my mind) that the disgraced person has killed somebody or something. In fact this is not the case, he sold a donkey for too high of a price. This was very disappointing. I would have rather gotten a real problem (which in my mind this was not) that did not have a man going crazy on such a non-issue like this. I understand that this author is trying to make fun of humans, but its not funny at all. Making money is an essential in life that we all need. And frankly the more we have, the happier we are. So this author might have pleased me in a different scenario, but he needs to pick a better topic. I mean how boring can you get. The biggest problem in this story is that he sells a donkey for to high of a price. In my mind this author made a bad topic the best it can be, which equals a high (in the bad range) topic. And does anybody understand why a cloth that has been passed down for many generations sits on disgusting donkeys? The only plus I got from this story is some idea of a culture of Turkey. Though it was not a very good one he gave me an idea of how so called “peasants” make money. Overall I was very very disappointed in this story.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Taj or rajeev
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Taj, I agree that the author could have made the book more interesting by he didn't need to make a new topic, he could have just put a little more interesting stuff into it. Also the guy that said he was disgraced did not buy the donkey but the rug expert did. I don't think that the story was completly boring and it had some interest. I also think that making money is not essential to living. I think that having a good family and good morals. That some people in the world would be happy to sit on a donkey and wouldn't think that it would be disgusting. The piece of rug was probably made to be on the donkey and to comfort the rider. I tink that you made some good points about the story, but you also had some points that were either not right or they didn't make sense
ReplyDeleteI would like to disagree and say that you missed the point of the story. The donkey seller himself bought the donkey for five liras and sold it for two thousand five hundred liras which is a huge profit (50,000%profit to be exact). Which is equivalent to you buying a five-hundred dollar shirt that was made for one cent and then throwing it away because all you really wanted was the sticker with the bar code. I'm sure if you were one of the sales people you would do a similar thing because you let someone buy a one cent shirt for five-hundred dollars which is outrageous. I believe that this story has a very important issue about people ripping off the poor when the poor peasants are also ripping of the tourists with fake artifacts.
ReplyDelete-Elliot(your local lobbyist for books and reading)
The rug on the donkey is very high quality acccording to the rug expert. It is sitting on the donkey because the merchant knows that people don't actually want to buy the donkey, they want to purchase the rug. However, they do not want to be too direct because otherwise the merchant will charge a much higher price for the rug than the donkey. The merchant uses the rug as bait for people to fall for his cleverness and buy the donkey.
ReplyDeleteI also agree the book could have been more interesting, but it wasn't bad.
ReplyDeleteJust like Taj i also never thought that this man was disgraced over selling a donkey for a lot of money (well actually I didn't know what i thought he was disgraced for). But I also disagree, I NEVER thought he killed a man or anything like that!. And no, I don't think that would have made the book any better. (that is such a Taj answer).