Thursday, April 23, 2009

Assassination Story

This story was very sad but was also interesting at the same time. It made me think a little bit about it after I read it. But there is still one thing that I do not understand: Why did the mother have to kill her daughter just for refusing to marry a man?
Even if it is a custom, they shouldv'e talked it over first. I think that the mother was too harsh and shouldv'e given the daughter a chance, instead of just killing her right then. I was really surprised that the mother could be so brutle to kill her own child that she had dumped so much of her own time into. It just doesn't make sense. And why didn't the daughter try to make an escape?
I was hoping for the daughter to make it out of the problem, but with the evil mother that seemed impossible, even though the daughter does not describe her as evil before the mauling.
At the end of the story, when the daughter says "I don't know in what wave I drowned", I was wondering how many times the mother came back. It didn't seem like it had to be many times because each attack sounded like it was extremely painful.
Did the mother attack more than once over an expanded time period to make her daughter's death more slow and painful?

2 comments:

  1. You actually have a very interesting concept in your post, Emmet. I don't think you even know it. When you mentioned that you were wondering how many times the mother came back to hurt Raha when she said she didn't know in what wave she drowned, you were assuming that the "waves" was a metaphor for the mother coming to beat Raha. I don't think anyone has thought of that yet. But you also assumed that Raha died. No one can actually assume anything about Raha's "aliveness" (is that a word), because she did not exactly say she "died". Yes, I know that she said she didn't know in what wave she "drowned", but no one can still know that she actually died. We already saw throughout the whole story that Raha describes her world using a lot of poetic words and descriptions, so she might just be using a metaphor for her miserable life, but did not actually die. Of course, she could have, but that's another story.

    ~ALim BookChomper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emmet, I agree about how Raha's parents should have discussed with Raha first about the arranged marriage. I respectfully disagree with you on the part about Raha's mother killing Raha. Raha's mother wouldn't dare kill Raha, because she would have to tell Fahid and his parents that Raha died. I think her mother might be abusing Raha because she thinks that Raha might change her mind and marry Raha in fear of her mother abusing her again.

    ReplyDelete