I like how the story begins with the event was assassination. This makes a very dramatic beginning and makes a lot of back story you think you missed. This girl, Raha, is a very romantic girl from everything she describes from the school to the outside world. This is like a common love story where the girl is matched by her parents and the girl refuses to marry. However, in this case, the parents beat her until they finally kill her. Here is a question for all of you:
Did the parents actually kill her?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that Raha dies because:
ReplyDelete"My mother had given me death, but the death came too slowly." (p 69)
On the same page Raha talks about not eating (or possibly drinking) for three days.
"I don't know in what wave I drowned." (p 69)
This could be interpreted differently (she faints), but I saw it as she died. But you asked if her parents killed her, and if she died she died not at her parents' hand(s) but as a concequence from their actions. I think that it's different from if her mom came in and shot her. It's less abrupt, but more sad.
~Mika
no, they didn't. she says "I don't know in what wave I drowned". I don't think she actually died. I can see how the ending might seem like she died and it makes sense that her mom would kill her because of how mad she was but, as you said, the first sentence she says "the event was assasination" like she was looking back on it. I don't think it was her own assasination but the assaination of her love for her parents who now beat her nearly to death because she hates this guy that's a total fat jerk that her parents think she should marry cuz he has money.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you Michael. I agree that it by starting the story saying "the event is assasnation" really sets up the story in a good way. Peopel like to read about murders. So by doing this is intrigues the reader and lules him in so he will read the rest of the story.
ReplyDeleteYes, Raha is a very romanticly based girl. The way she talks using metaphors and other literaty devices in most of her sentences makes her a very dramatic and romantic girl. "How beautifuk are Wednsdays. when joy comes to my heart like a bird that has flown for seven days and landed on my hand." This is an example of a simile that Raha uses in the beginning of the story to explain how much she loves Wedsdays. This really intorduces her as a character and gives the reader an example of how Raha talks.
For your last question... I don't think that the parents killed her. Her mother beat her and beat her and then she tried to hang herself but it didnt work. In the last paragraph her mother walks back in and Raha thinks: "I don't know in what wave i drowned." I don't understadn what that means. Does she literally mean she is drowning or is it another literary device explaining her feelings? I think it is just her feelings but i am not sure.
(mostly in response to woozie)
ReplyDeleteI don't think the "the event was assasination" was something "written by Raha", but I do agree that she might not have died. It depends on how you look at it. However, if the author wanted to make it really like Raha was looking back on the events she might have needed to make Raha be slightly angry or sad in the beginning, instead of having her almost narrate a 'reliving' of the experiance. I hope that made some sense.
~Mika
No, i dont think Raha dies. The word assasination in the title refers to Raha's hopes and dreams dying. At the end, Raha tries to strangle herself, but does not suceed. Then she wants to die, but when it says "death came to slowly"(pg 69) I think Raha is just eaggerating after this horrible experience. It might mean that she knows she will survive and will have to deal with marrying Fahid instead of dying now.
ReplyDelete