When I first read the little paragraph in italics about the author and the story I thought "Oh joy, another story about arranged marriages". But then I remembered that arranged marriages are very common in the Middle East so I guess people tend to write a lot of stories about them.
I kind of liked how the author changed perspectives -- from Fatiha to Aicha to Fatiha again to Madame Suissi to Houria to Yamina and finally back to Fatiha. It made the story more interesting, but also a bit confusing. Unfortunately I was also confused because the author kept on adding characters with no explanation of who they were. But I suppose since this is just a little part of a longer story the author explained earlier on. I enjoyed this story more than "The Assassination of Light at the River's Flow" because it didn't have any... violence in it and it wasn't as sad.
I'd just like to say that this story, like a couple of the other stories, had no clear point. It was just Fatiha getting ready before her wedding ceremony, her mother trying to comfort her, and then a few other characters worrying about other problems.
It was interesting to see different women's opinions about arranged marriages. Some didn't like the thought of arranged marriages and thought that women should be allowed to choose the person they marry and be able to pursue their dream - whether it be a job or marrying someone they truly love without their parents arranging it. Others thought that if the parents chose who their child married he or she would be happier. They also think that marriage is more important and that a woman's place is at home where she cares for the children and other housework and they don't want to copy what the Europeans do and allow their children to choose.
As a final note to this story, I'd just like to say that it was fairly good but still confusing and had no clear point. I still thought it was interesting to read and learn about people's opinions about arranged marriages. Oh, I'm also wondering why the author used so many ". . ."s.
~Zoe
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that the story pretty much had no clear point to it. Sometimes I had to read the same paragraph over and over again. Also the way that the author changed perspectives gave a pretty clear description to what each person thinks about the wedding for Fatiha. Madame Suissi wanted her to stay at school and get an education while Fatiha's mother just wanted her to go on with her life as a wife to this person who's-name-was-not-mentioned-in-this-short-story.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I think that the author uses those ...s to make the story more life like (people pause in the middle of their sentences once in a while).