Friday, May 1, 2009
Munir
I find it wierd how Hajji Guma was not mad when Munir said he couldn't come back because he was getting married far away. It found it wierd and disgusting that the parents arranged marriages, especially with their cousins. WHen Munir telegrammed his family that he was getting married, I thought it was pretty funny. I don't understand why the girls ripped up the letter. Didn't they want Munir to get his congratulations? I believe Hajji Guma was wise to understand Munir's situation and not go his wedding. However, I think Munir and everyone would have appreciated it if his family showed up to congratulate him. This is a problem with surprise arranged marriages: the bride or groom doesn't know he/she is getting married. Therefore, they might do something that messes up the marriage, such as this case. The author must have had a sense of humor and have seen marriages like these before in order to have created a story like this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that the Hajji Guma was mad, but didn't show it. In Islamic culture, parents did arrange marriges, and we may find it disqusting, but to them, our culture is disgusting. 1 of the girls wanted to marry Munir, so what was the point in wishing him congratulations?
ReplyDeleteWhy would the parents do something to mess up the marriage? That's not right. Munir should be allowed to marry whomever he wishes to.
Daniel's perspective is interesting. They see our culture every bit as strangely as we see theirs. And I don't think that Hajji Guma was mad at all. "He has an excuse. He did not know what we have been planning". Hajji Guma defends his son, which I do not think he would do if he were mad, just not showing it. If that were the case, then I think he would instead accept what has happened in silence.
ReplyDelete