Sunday, May 3, 2009
The night of the festival-Michael
I was very confused by this story. I had always wondered who "the Hajji" was and why the two girls cried at the end. Does "the Hajji" mean the entire family or just one person, like her father. This story reminded me a lot of the assassination of light since the father demands the daughter to marry someone instead in this case she ends up tearing the letter that was going to be sent to the groom. I also think this is the cliche " dad wants daughter to marry someone and the daughter refuses." I was also confused on how the story keeps changing scenes. And why do the two girls tear up the letter. Is it because they don't want to marry the man, or they are just angry? Overall I think this story was interesting but very confusing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I was also confused by the ending, when the two girls by the river were crying. I didnt understand it till i read over it a second time.
ReplyDeleteBut I disagree, to me this story couldnt get any more UNinteresting, i think it could have give us more info on how each character felt (exspecially the dad) when Munir officially abandoned them.
hajji Guma' is one person (the father) and his brother is hajji Abd Allah. I can see how it could sound like it's the whole family and that would make it REALLY confusing. the father wants his daughter to marry Mas'ud, his nephew and in turn, his niece Nafusa will marry Munir. I was kind of confused also about what the whole deal was: "this person liked this person but had to marry this guy so whatsherface could marry jerkbutt over there?" That was the confusing part. All the different names just added to
ReplyDeletemy confusion but overall, I don't think anyone hated his or her fiance and i don't think anyone refused to marry anyone. The whole family was waiting for Munir who sent a telegram saying he was marrying someone else. I think that's kinda rude in the sense that he just told his family he was getting married THE DAY BEFORE THE WEDDING and didn't invite the family. hajji guma' excuses him by saying: "he did not know what we have been planning". he also creates his own logic saying that if he invited them, they'd have to buy new, clean, respectible clothes and munir (according to hajji Guma') new that they were financially unstable. as for the tearing up of the letter, I think it's just because the girls were so pissed that because he's marrying someone else, neither of them will get married.