This story was interesting in 2 ways. One way is the plot. It was a bit confusing how it switched back and forth between Hajji Guma' and the hajji. It made me read over and over again the same paragraphs. A second way is the plot of the story. I know that it takes place at the end of Ramadan, and that's about it. If I go back and look at the story, I see that Khadija was engaged to merry her cousin(who?) I also see that Nafusa wants to marry Munir, but can't because he's already getting married. When I first read the part which was a letter from Munir, I thought that he died, because earlier in the story(for some reason) I got the impression that he was in the army. I understand the he is a chief engineer guy, but... yeah.
Other than that, the story wasn't too bad. I still like The Assassination story better though.
1 more complaint: The names were hard to remember. That's all.
dAnIeL gRiGgI
Friday, May 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The trick with the hajji and Hajji Guma is that Hajji seems to be some respectful name, like Mister. Hajji is usually referring to Hajji Guma. If that made any sense.
ReplyDeleteTo explain the relationships: Hajji Guma has a daughter, Khadija, who is engaged to marry his brother's son (her cousin), Mas'ud. Hajji Guma has a great idea to marry off his son to his brother's daughter, Nafusa (his son= Munir, Nafusa= Munir's cousin). However, Munir, who is away in a city sends a letter announcing that he is getting married (he doesn't know about his arranged marriage). Therefore, both marriages are off, and the girls: Nafusa and Khadija are not happy (hence the fact that they rip up the letter about how everyone is so happy). It sound like a soap opera or something when I write it out like that, but I hope it helps people make sense of the story (at least it helped me writing it).
I agree- the names are hard to remember.
~Mika
I agree with Erika aobut how how Hajji might be more respectful, but I do not understand why both marriages are off. I thought that Nafusa's marriage would be off, but why is Khadija's marriage off too? That makes no sense at all and now I just got myself even more confused!!!! The names were impossible to remember!!!
ReplyDelete