Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Night of the Festival

There are two types of stories: stories that are easy to understand and those that need a little time to sink in. This story was the second type. The names were easy to mix up as well; I found myself re-reading phrases and at one point the entire story just to try and understand what was going on.

I'm not quite sure what the moral or the main story was. What I understood was that this man, Hajji Guma, is thinking about his daughter's wedding and then decides, well, what if my son gets married too? So he plans to have his son marry his niece and then he tells everyone, this entire time worrying something will go wrong. Then it does. So what was the point? It wasn't to tell a story just to tell a story; I don't think the story was too great in that area. It wasn't comedy. Maybe it was to tell us not to plan ahead of time; the "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched" moral.

Beyond the confusion: I thought the chosen time was interesting: Ramadan. I didn't know that the muezzin called the end of the fasting. I also thought the beginning was cool. The author started the story by describing things, instead of dialogue or the usual explanation that a different author might give.

No comments:

Post a Comment