I thought this story made was, even though it made sense, was pretty boring and pointless.
I know that arranged marriages are normal and common in Asia, and understood Fatiha's reaction. If I was getting married to someone I barely knew or didn't like, I would be very anxious to see how our marriage would turn out.
Fatiha's father is stubborn and traditional. When Fatiha's teacher talks to her father, she talks about how good a student Fatiha is. Instead of thinking what is right for his daughter, he immediately concludes that marriage is much more important that Fatiha's life.
This story is incredibly sexist. Fatiha's father states that all women are inferior to men, and only live to bear children and become housewives. He does not understand they also have the potential to become great people.
At the end, Fatiha suddenly decides to become ready for a husband. Really would she so suddenly change her mind about marriage just like that because of dancing?
Friday, May 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
To answer your question, I think that Fatiha doesn't become happy about her marriage by dancing, possibly as she dances she forgets (for a bit) all of her worries. I know this sounds really cliche- she is the type of person who lives in the moment most of the time. Also, I wouldn't say that this story actually is sexist, but that some of the characters are sexist. One other small point- this story takes place in N Africa (Algeria specifically), not Asia. However, I do see your point about how there is very little action in this story (chapter from a book?).
ReplyDelete~Erika