Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mother VS. Daughter

In this story, Fatiha is against the role women have in her society. She is particularly unhappy that she is being forced to marry someone she barely knows. Also, she has to give up going to school and making her own way in society to marry and become a housewife. Her mother realizes that her daughter is unhappy, but tricks herself into thinking otherwise. The mother wants her daughter, Fatiha, to be happy, but Fatiha is not happy marrying the man she was arranged to wed with. Since Fatiha is not happy, her mother makes up excuses for why Fatiha is feeling sad, such as the fact that her daughter is intimidated. At the end of the story, Fatiha is dancing to forget the horrors of the debacle she is in, but her mother sees her dancing as a way of accepting her fate, not forgetting about it.

SAM SAGAN

1 comment:

  1. Sam, I partially agree with you. I don't know that she FULLY doesn't like it, just she doesn't want that life. She wants to become a teacher and not be such a housewife. I didn't particularly like this story and basically you just described the story, so there is not very much that I can say. But yes. That is the story in a nutshell.

    ReplyDelete