Wednesday, May 6, 2009

extemely late post--night of the festival-WOOZ

I really DIDN'T like this story. I thought it was dumb and overall it was just confusing. All the different names got me mixed up. I saw the plot line as: hajji Guma' is the father of a daughter named khadija and a smart son named munir who has a very good job and receives a large salary. his brother, hajji abd allah, is richer than hajji guma', thus, so are his children nafusa and mas'ud. hajji abd allah only agreed that his son mas'ud marry a poorer girl named khadija (mas'ud's cousin) because in turn, hajji abd Allah's daughter nafusa would marry hajji abd Allah's nephew munir who raises a lot of money because of his job. It seemed like an equal trade and the two girls, khadija and nafusa, were excited that they were going to marry someone. apparently no-one told munir that he was going to marry nafusa but everyone was expecting him to come and visit the family and they'd tell him once he came. munir ended up not coming and he sent a telegram to his family telling them he was getting married to someone else the next day and they weren't invited to the wedding. his dad provides an excuse for him saying: " he has an excuse. He did not know what we have been planning" he also says that if he HAD invited them, he knew they'd have to buy new clothes and, according to guma', he knew they were financially unstable. guma' has his daughter write a letter of congratulations (because he is illiterate). when the girls go outside to mail it, they rip it up into tiny pieces and chuck them into the river. I think they do this just out of pure anger because now they won't marry anyone.

P.S. sorry for posting this so late; I couldn't do it last weekend because I went to Oregon. Hope I didn't totally screw up your posting stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment