Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Wife for my Son - Kent

I would have to say that the story had no apparent story line and was just describing what a girl went through right before she married someone that she didn't know nd was going off on tangents a lot. I think that the author was trying to say that the culture in America is a lot different from the culture that was in the short story. The author portrays this though the quote on page 57, "Fatiha is such a good student...it would really be a shame to...' 'Marriage is a more important thing than school for a woman!' 'She's still so young; she has so many plans; she likes learning so much...' 'Marriage is more important..." I think that it is weird for the father in the family to set up a marriage and that the daughter has no say in what the father thinks of doing. I also thought that the author was trying to show how much more boys are valued their life than girls, "But one doesn't prevent the other, Mr. Kaddour! Today everybody's work is needed, including women's...' 'No! No! Not when men are unemployed.' 'But women working doesn't increase men's unemployment, Mr. Kaddour to the contrary.' 'You can't make me believe that!" I think that this quote shows how much men are valued and how they think that women are just worthless workers and were only put on the earth to serve the men and maintain the household and family.  All in all I think that this short story was very passive, it didn’t have a lot of action in it, and I didn’t understand why the author would write the book the way that he did. I think that there could have been maybe a tragedy or some action of some sort at the end of the story. I would give this book a five out of ten.

2 comments:

  1. For the most part, I agree with you, but I also have to say that it wasn't completely pointless. It gives us another view on how girls in the Middle East respond to arranged marriages, and just the internal conflict of Fatiha. I agree that men especially in this story underestimate women and their capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kent and Katherine because the story wasn't totally pointless, but the author could've just written one paragraph describing the treatment of women in Middle Eastern societies. I also think that something exciting should've happened at the end of the story.

    I think that this story is different in a good way because it gives the reader a 1st person perspective, and the internal conflict that Fatiha is dealing with. I would also agree that men underestimate women in this story because they think that they have to decide everything for the women and women can't go to work and make money because they have to stay at home and take care of children while doing chores around the house.

    ReplyDelete