Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A wife for my son

I thought that this story was okay. I could only imagine the pain and anger that Fatiha is experiencing. I would guess that Fatiha is about 13 or 14, and certainly does not want to get married, especially to a man who she doesn't even know. She wants to stay in school and learn as much as possible instead of being stuck to the role of women in her society, which is take care of her children and do chores around the house. Fatiha wants to work as a teacher, but she realizes that her goal isn't possible when her father decides that she shall get married. Fatiha wants to be more modern and revolt against the lack of women's rights. She wants to do what she wants with her life and marry who she wants and not have people decide everything for her. She is obviously sad and aggrivated about the decision, but tries not to show it. Her mother is knows that she is angry but convinces herself otherwise, an act which I would call selfishness, because she just thinks what she wants to, even if she knows it is wrong.

The main idea for "A Wife For My Son" is the lack of women's rights. I definetly think that it is unfair to women to decide their future against their will. I think that they should have the freedom of choice, and live their own lives.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. Though i would say Fatiha is about 16. she still does want to be a teacher and get educated. Women do not have the rights that they deserve, but lets not forget about the husband either. He has never met this girl either, and is probably being forced to marry Fatiha. Hopefully this new generation, who is unhappy with these marriages, will let their children marry who they want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you said, the reason why she can't "stay in school and learn as much as possible" is the overruling father who demands his family to be totally Eastern. And Emmet, how is she NOT showing her sadness and aggrivation when she's crying her eyes out? Anyways, this story left me think "Yeah....So?" Nobody cares about a girl who starts crying and then all of a sudden starts dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. she TRIES not to show it

    ReplyDelete