This is going to be a very short response describing my hate for this story.
I DIDN'T LIKE THIS STORY AT ALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First off, there keep becoming a bunch of new characters in this story.
Fatiha, Houria, Myriem, Aicha, Haddad's, Madame Suissi, etc.
This REALLY confused me, because sometimes, it was a very blunt entrance into the story.
Second, I just didn't like the way it was written.
There was very little imagery (which I love!) and the story moved a little quickly.
Third, I couldn't connect with the main character.
I couldn't feel what she was going through because I didn't like her.
And Fourth, What happened in the ending?
It went all so fast, it was like: BOOM, happy ending.
Can Someone explain to me in a comment on what happened?
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First of all,
ReplyDeleteJust because you hate a character doesn't mean you can't connect to them. A lot of people have commented that they don't particularly like this story, but they said they didn't like the last one because it was confusing too. I agree that the story moved quickly, but it was rather that the author was jumping from woman to woman to experience a little of each person's feelings about the situation at that time.
Since you asked about the story, here's the short version:
Fatiha is getting married and isn't happy in her confined life, because she wants to become a teacher, marry someone she actually likes, and be free. Other main characters include her mother, Houria, and her sewing teacher, Madame Suiss. Her mother is noticing Fatiha's unhappy look, but doesn't try to do anything, because she can't. Madame Suiss is also mad at herself for not asking Fatiha's parents to let Fatiha become a teacher and marry later.
The end is kind of a "change" ending, like what Ms. Tomatis said about our plays. Endings don't have to be like "and they all lived happily ever after", but rather just that something has to change. So in this ending, basically Fatiha starts dancing to forget her troubles for a while, and just dance for the sake of dancing and feeling free. It's not a usual ending, I agree, but remember, it's not supposed to be anyways. This is only an excerpt of a full-length book.
Hope I made it somewhat clearer,
ALimBookChomper
What part of the ending? Just the VERY end?
ReplyDeleteIn the VERY end, Houria removes Fathia's binds from her hands and feet. In that moment, she looks at Fathia and the story says: "Houria looked at her daughter wit such tenderness that for an instant Fathia felt happier..." I think this is because earlier in the story, Houria thought that Fathia might just be unhappy about the whole situation (which she was) but dismissed it from her mind and refused for that to be the answer. Now, I think Houria gets it and actually accepts the fact that Fathia is mad. The reason Fathia felt happy could be that she knows that her mom understands why she is mad. Another possibility for Fathia’s sudden change in mood is that she finally accepts that she’s going to have to get married whether she likes it or not, so she might as well make the best out of it. Fathia goes out and dances with her younger cousin Yamina. Yamina’s mother starts discussing with her cousin hat Yamina should be married also. There could be a whole new story written with the same plot line but with Yamina in Fathia’s position.
Hope I kinda helped and not just confused you more.
P.S. sorry I'm posting these so late. Blogger.com doesn't like me at all. it completely ate my last post and never gave it back!
ReplyDelete